Friday, June 12, 2009

Wonder Coping

I wonder why I am so bothered lately by issues that have been around for years. These issues have bothered me in small doses for quite some time, but for some reason they seem to be impacting me seemingly physically lately. Most of these issues were addressed during the 2008 Presidential campaign, some were alluded to, and others are related by association. Separately I probably would just shrug it off as a political issue, voice my opinion, sign a petition or two then go along. But not this time.
I am not so naive that I thought Obama would solve all the nations problems during his tenure what ever that will be, let alone in 5 months. I guess I knew he would have to compromise on some issues and capitulate all together on others. I was willing to give it time and support him no matter. I hate "one issue voters" because they are shallow and display no attempt to accept other views. When I hear anti choice advocates say they will not support a candidate because the candidate is pro choice, I walk away. There were and are issues which Obama supports that I do not. I voted for him because I thought he could do the best job at the time. As times change, so does my choices and the reasons I make them. From campaign speeches I felt that Obama would support issues I found important, but I did make trade off on others he did not support, my choice. I weighed many of these issues and what he said with how I felt. I did not compromise my values or my beliefs, I weighed what I though important and significant on the issues. President Obama came closest what I though was right. I didn't get caught up in the first Black President euphoria, but I did get excited by the prospect of a Black man thinking as I did and running for President.
While I am not second guessing myself for it is far too late, but I have come to the conclusion that you really can not put too much faith into the words of anyone during a campaign. Oh, I knew that things were said during the moment that had no validity in real life, but lately it seems President Obama is making decisions not based on promises, but perhaps on his true feelings.
The DADT law was signed in 1993 by Bill Clinton. The DOMA was signed in 1996 by Bill Clinton. Now Bill had a republican house and senate to deal with so I will forgive him for taking the cowards way out on both those issues. Obama has a democratic house and senate and great public support, yet, he backs down from both issues. His lack of movement on DADT is most discouraging and the recent support by DOJ of the DOMA is just another slap in the face by the administration for those who fought for his election. Obama's refusal to address gun control and the huge lobbying issues in DC are other issues I take great umbrage. All of these issues were addressed during the campaign and yet he plays dodge ball with them all.
I continue to support Obama at this time because I still think he was the best choise at the time. I support most of what he has accomplished so far, and I dissagree with other issues like those above and our approach in Afghanistan, or Gitmo. I may feel differently in a year about what else he accomplishes, but I hold that it was the best choice at the time. I am coping.

No comments:

Post a Comment