Saturday, February 28, 2009

wonder

I wonder : Why do most republicans refuse to acknowledge the advances of science? It just occurred to me, well, not just; but within the last year this phenomenon has gobsmacked me. According to mainly Evangelical GOP'ers there is no global warming, dinosaurs either did not exist, or existed at the same time as early man, there is no environmental impact on anything we as a people do and they, accept "intelligent design". Now quickly, I should say I do not agree with ID, but I do comprehend the religious rights refusal to even acknowledge empirical data. Note, I said I comprehend, not understand. Simply put, if an issue presents empirical date, it must be proven or observed, and most religious tenants are neither; ergo an easy cannon to ignore by those consumed by religious zealotry. To believe the polar ice caps are melting because it is within earth's life cycle, or is natural is to ignore thousands of years of empirical, proven and observable data. This fear of science is so bizarre to me considering how accepting we are of science based everyday conveniences, like flying. I do not believe that ALL republicans, or ALL Evangelical republicans wear blinders, just the loudest one's.

No comments:

Post a Comment